Hashtags? Best Practices and Using Them Effectively
Check out this post to help increase your engagement! I will share the best practices and statistics that justify why using hashtags are completely worth it!
Because I run a social media team, it is my responsibility to know all the effective and useful ways to help increase engagement and followers on all of the companies instagram accounts. It is easy to write off hashtags as being old, ineffective and unhelpful, but I'll be the first to tell ya...you're wrong.
How Hashtags Work and Why They Are Important:
Hashtags provide an easy way for people to view content that they relate to and are interested in. For example, if someone is interested in fitness and are wanting to be inspired with healthy recipes, new workouts, or fitness journeys, the #fitness would be a great hashtag to view. This would expose the user to new content and make it simple to discover new accounts. If you are a fitness or wellness company, that would be a great hashtag to us. Hot In Social Media shared that "Posts with at least one Instagram hashtag averages 12.6% more engagement than ones who don’t". Why not increase your engagement with just one related hashtag?? Sounds like a no brainer. There is a lot of information about how to use hashtags effectively, but here are some simple things to remember.
Tips to Implement When Using Hashtags:
1. A study from TrackMaven states that 9 Hashtags per post generate the most engagement. -Try out lots of different hashtags to see which ones are creating the most engagement for your brand
2. Place the majority of your comments in the first comment on your post.
- This will make sure the hashtags don't take away from your caption and will not be seen by user comments.
3. Use hashtags with fewer than 500k and more than 1000.
4. Got competitors? What are they using?
- Uses the hashtags your competitors are using and see if they increase your engagement.
5. Use successful hashtags EVERYWHERE!
- Stories, Bios, Posts, comments, etc.
Hopefully this post was able to give your some basic tips on how to use hashtags. Let me know if these tips work for you!